Chocolate Toffee Matzah Recipe
4 Passover Matzahs
1 cup margarine of unsalted butter (168 g)
1 cup firmly packed dark or light brown sugar (158 g)
Pinch of sea salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips of 160 grams chopped bittersweet chocolate.
1 cup nuts (120g) slivered almonds, chopped walnuts, or pistachos.
- If you are using butter, it is best to remove it from the frig and let it soften a bit.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Either spray with cooking oil or line with parchment paper.
- Arrange matzohs to cover the baking sheet. Break some if necessary.
- In a heavy 3-4 quart saucepan, at medium heat, melt the butter and brown sugar. After it comes to a boil, cook for 3 minutes while stirring. Add a pinch of sale and the vanilla.
- Pour the mixture over the matzohs and spread of a spatula.
- Reduce over to 350 and bake for 10-12 minutes. It should bubble up, but not burn. Check frequently. If it starts to smoke, reduce heat to 325.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the chopped chocolate of chocolate chips. Let it sit for 5 minutes and spread the chocolate to cover.
- Sprinkle the nuts over the matzohs.
- After it has cooled, break or cut into pieces and store in an airtight container.